Volunteers support Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital- Milton by giving hundreds of hours to enhance the quality of patient care and to provide support services for the professional staff. Over 150 adult and junior volunteers are vital members of the hospital’s health care team.
We offer a wide array of volunteer opportunities.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities
- Emergency Department Concierge – Deliver materials to the lab and support ED staff. Provide comfort measures to patients and family members.
- Clerical Support – type, file and support department needs.
- Gift Shop – Interact with a wide array of customers and are responsible for retail sales.
- Greeter/ Information Desk - Help visitors find their way around the hospital, answer and transfer patient phone calls and sign people up for community education classes.
- Patient Escorts - Transport patients upon discharge and assist people who need wheelchairs. Volunteers also run errands and do special projects.
- Patient Visitors – Caring people who enjoy conversing, visit patients, provide magazines, fill water bottles and alert nursing staff as needed.
- Pastoral Care-Pastoral care volunteers and Eucharisitic Ministers make initial pastoral care visits, distribute the Eucharist to Catholic patients and provide worship opportunities to patients and their families. For more information, contact Ginny Grimes Allen, Chaplain at 617-313-1755.
Youth Volunteer Opportunities
Students from 14-18 years of age can apply to volunteer for six weeks during July and August. Juniors volunteer for two or three 4-hour shifts each week in a variety of departments. Applicants must provide one written reference and have an interview. We provide orientation, training, community service hour documentation, references and an ice cream social. For more information on becoming a junior volunteer, click here. *Summer 2013 program application process has ended. We will contact and interview applicants in April and May.
The Benefits of Being a Volunteer
- Inner satisfaction which comes from helping others and the pride of accomplishment in a job well-done.
- Opportunities to learn new skills, develop interests, make friends and grow in personal understanding.
- $5 off your meal and free drinks in the cafeteria.
- Annual Adult Volunteer Recognition Luncheon
- Reference letters to enhance college and work applications
- Free parking
How To Apply
If you are interested in joining our team, and can give a few hours each week to support Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital – Milton, please call Janet Evans, Director of Volunteer Services at 617-313-1558. Every effort will be made to match your skills and interests with your work assignment. You will receive a hospital orientation and on-the-job training. Or click here to fill out an application form that you can send by mail. For volunteers between 14 and 18, click here.