Mammography is available at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4 pm and alternating Monday and Tuesday evenings from 4:30 – 7 pm and Saturdays 8 am – 1 pm.
Before Your 3-D Mammogram:
- Prior to your mammogram, discuss any new findings, prior surgeries, hormone use and family or personal history of breast cancer with your doctor. You may be asked to fill out a medical history form.
- If you had previous mammograms done at a hospital or clinic other than Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton, please try to obtain the results and bring them with you at the time of your mammogram. You may use this authorization form to get your previous mammograms.
- On the day of the exam, you will be asked important questions about your medical history to assess your breast cancer risk.
- You should not use talcum powder, perfume, deodorant, oils or cream the day of your exam. We recommend you wear a comfortable, two-piece garment. You may continue to take any medication that you normally take.
During Your 3-D Mammogram:
- The mammography technologist will position your breasts. This involves flattening and compressing the breast to obtain a clear image of the tissue. The degree of pressure needed for the best images may cause discomfort momentarily. It does not harm the breast tissue.
- The entire exam will take approximately 30 minutes.
After Your 3-D Mammogram:
- After your exam is complete, one of our radiologists will review and interpret it. The results will be mailed to you.
Mammography does expose you to some radiation. However, today’s refined mammography equipment is designed so that this exposure is minimal. Extreme care is taken during any procedure to ensure the lowest possible dose of radiation without compromising image quality.
To schedule your 3-D mammogram, call 617-313-1700, Monday – Friday, between the hours of 7:30 am – 5:30 pm.